Thursday, January 04, 2007

Biology Today

that title sounds like the name of a magazine!
but that title is exactly what this post is about. My biology lesson today. It was fairly easy work amount today; it was a lab day. For me, lab day translates into watching the bio teacher on my video program do the complete lab, the next best thing to doing it yourself really. On the menu for today: sheep's brain. Yup. The first dissection [besides plants] of the year. I took an awesome and rather extensive dissection course two years ago at a co-op, so I already have the credit. We didnt do a sheep's brain though... =D

As I watched the teacher hold the organ in her hand and point to each part, it put a new dimension on the technical terms associated with the brain that I had been learning. I saw God's AMAZING creation. When one looks at say the medulla oblongata, a section of the brain stem, at first glance it seems just like a physical object, a piece of fleshy, squishy stuff. It isnt just that, contrary to the belief of materialists. It processes some of the everyday actions of our body that we take for granted and just expect to function smoothly. We dont always take time to ponder the sometimes unexplainable intricasy with which the Lord designed us. Chemical reactions, nerve impulses and other such things can explain a great deal. In the end though, every reaction must have a cause, every design a designer. The highest link of the chain leads to the Lord. Human beings are so much more than animals as some wish to believe...

I suppose the difference between the brain and the mind clicked for me today. The mind cannot be operated on; it cannot be fully explained. Man's inner thoughts are such a wonder. God knows them; most times He is the only One who can know them. The mind is part of man's spiritual existence, not the physical. It is amazing.



picture curtesy of my googling skills...

Yours truly,
my inner nerdish-scientific self

No comments: