Friday, January 04, 2008

After reading about dusting off resolutions, I wanted to do some myself, having honestly never thought to look back at what I'd said the year before (always looking ahead, ya know?). But then I was reminded that my journals are among the items yet to be found since moving. New Years processes slowly for me; I never transition before hand or at midnight.

Here is another great post on resolutions, New Years or not.

New Years Eve we had a party. It dimmed down at 10 or 11 o'clock, but a great handful of folks stuck around until after midnight. Dad made a fire in the basement. Pool games were going while the hi-fi played The Beatles and Nat King Cole.

"This year has been filled and brought alot of change for you," he said. "Ya, it has..." Into my mind rushed little moments, big events, faces of friends present and past. "So much of this year centered around church." Sitting on the couch, we verbally composed a list of some things from the past year- back and forth, each adding one thing followed by another. Nothing fancy-

Cabin Fever weekend I learned unity and teamwork; experienced deep joy in friendship and in the Lord, and had fun. the white rocks.

On new member's Sunday, I stood next to my family and together with the other new members in front of individuals, those who have become a church family over the past year. I can still see everyone on their feet, clapping with smiles on their faces. I cried standing there. Our family was right where God wanted us; I was where I was supposed to be.

Somewhere there was Exploring Christianity. I grew in Bible doctrine, studying it at home separately and then being able to connect and discuss it. Yummy food, lots of homeschool jokes and hot sauce.

June was youth camp. wow. I think that's the reaction I have most anytime I talk about it. The can't believe I actually went, unforgettable youth camp. A. Cal. talking about how he saw a cloud of mist over the main building one of the nights sticks in my head. I love camp.

There were three church picnics- the last complete with mud sliding. oh man how much fun!

Two graduation parties.

Slept in a tent for the first time. On that trip I screamed at a frog, had mountain pies for the first iem, biked twenty miles just because I wanted to be able to say I did, was amazed on the hill.

The I-team was adopted.

We tried to go caroling but that didnt work out so great... "Can you go Christmas caroling after Christmas?"
__

I struggled with assurance of salvation this year. I remember messages that Mr. Rishel preached that spoke directly to me.

My faith and trust were tested and I was reliant on Christ alone. Moving was a hard thing. He was so kind in showing me His faithfulness in the past and providing support from family and through conversations at church. The situation may seem other than it is when you see the bigness and wonderful everything about the new house. It was never about the house for us. The situation had deeper meaning than just requiring a place to live more suited to our family or to giving bigger parties. Leaving the only home I'd known when I didnt think it was necessary we leave. I was content where I was, just as we are all content with to live in sin before Christ does a work in our hearts. Acknowledgment that God has such a greater plan, for my good and that it is Him only I should be content to rest in, had to take place and did. This house was a gift from God, one of sorrow and tears but revealing joy. It even has blue glass in the cabinets. As I say all that, I realize how much of a challenge moving was for not just me, but also my parents.

I turned sixteen. The celebration was far from the plans thought over and written down, (moving took its tole on life) but it was lovely and I felt loved through it. I smile when I think about it.

I've seen all three Bourne movies. I'm a fan.
I'm surviving APUSH, and learning much. I struggle with whether I am truly doing my best or whether I could do better. But that has come down to being a work of grace in having more discipline and concentration.

I only messed up writing the year once or twice and got on track easily. No weeks worth of papers dating incorrectly this time around...

My life has changed and will continue to. The year has changed. But my God, our God has not.

No comments: