A Four Letter Word for what Makes Winter what it is
I heard a lady in the grocery store saying how much she had enjoyed this winter because of the small amount of snow we'd had and how much she would enjoy herself if we didnt get anymore. I felt bad for her.
Upon waking up today and looking out the dining room, the tops of the bushes were tufted with snow; yesterday what could be seen as dead grass and sticks with patches of slushy stuff was now a glorious, however many inches thick layer making the ground sparkling and bright.
Upon waking up today and looking out the dining room, the tops of the bushes were tufted with snow; yesterday what could be seen as dead grass and sticks with patches of slushy stuff was now a glorious, however many inches thick layer making the ground sparkling and bright.
The freshness of newly fallen snow is thoroughly enjoyable to me.
Winter without snow is like spring without crocuses, summer without sunshine. Snow is what makes winter go round. Not even considering all the activities it makes possible or more pleasant, it takes dreary, confined days (like yesterday) and makes them, well, white, bright, fresh and clean... sorta like detergent is supposed to do to laundry. Snow takes barren tree branches and crowns them, highlights them. The white fluffy stuff makes the whole area wherein it rests one big marshmallow-sweet land. If you take into account the marshmallows and the trees you might even say that the outdoors becomes one big fluffernutter. I know some people who would enjoy that analogy immensely. If you're not one of them, I apologize.
And so this morning- despite school looming over me and my having to fight spurts desiring to utterly forget about it all and just go do something else somewhere else, I am here at the table praying that God might increase and I might decrease... all the while enjoying the snow and hoping we see plenty more of it before spring blooms.








9 comments:
Good post, Laina. I can relate! Sometimes when I'm typing for schoolwork I tend to desire to hop on my novel I'm working on or something else. The Lord is going to use schoolwork for you, for YOUR benefit later on in life-for His (emphasis on HIS) glory. 1 Corinthians 2:7: "No, we speak of God's secret wisdom, a wisdom that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began." Have a good week, Laney Lou!
I agree about the snow making things look nice. I love how it redeems my backyard and makes it look pretty. The fallen trees and bushes always look better under a blanket of white. I haven't done any sledding yet this year... I want to get out there while there is still substance!
I feel bad for that lady, too :-P
As I'm watching snow blow off the graveyard and make dunes in the road below, I wonder...before the Flood, the whole earth was tropical. Snow was not part of God's original plan for the earth. Will it be in the new earth?
wkbaxf
Wan Kangaroos Baffle Aardvarks' Xenophobic Friends
I'm actually going to ask God for hot snow in heaven. I know, that sounds a little weird, but hey, it's me.
I sure hope there will be cold weather in heaven. I'm looking forward to some surreal ice-climbing! With no policemen to come and kick us off!
Ahh, but do we know that God did not have snow? I don't think the Bible says anywhere, "And God did not see that it was fit for the earth to have snow, so he caused it not be." I have to say that it was part of his plan because he knew that earth was going to go the way it did.
taofqmjq
The awful old finicky quickly moving jack-in-the-box quit.
Hey, Jack-in-the-box has hyphens, so it counts as one word. Right?
thanks megs :-)
I'm thinking that while snow may not have fit so well in the tropical earth of the Garden of Eden, the seven days of creation talk of the "waters" in Genesis chpt 1 and according to the average science textbook, snow is water.
hot snow- is that like dry ice? =P
I dont know if jack-in-the-box should actually have hyphen, but I'd say it counts as one word.
I guess it would kinda be like that. But in word only. Hot snow is presently beyond our comprehension. Here's what I think it would feel like: In the summer time, kids pull out lawn sprinklers and play in them. However, if the connecting hose has been left out in the sun overlong, the water heats up. What you get is a stream of tiny pellets of warm water. That's how I think of it. Boy, I'm looking forward to ice-climbing... WITHOUT ropes!
qzcejz
Quinlisks zap Cavettis, energizing Jehosaphat's zebras
I'm sorry, but I was kicking up my heels when the snow melted! I can only take so much white! But then it started to rain! Can't wait for spring because then the trail ride place in Bridgeville opens! Yeah!
Post a Comment