Monday, August 24, 2009

First Day

Today was my first day of college. My thoughts become a whirling tornado when I make it sound official in that way. 


How would I describe the experience? Well, first off, I was nervous. I may not have admitted it should you have asked me, but I definitely was. A good friend invited me to ride the trolley in with her and walked me to my first class; I was -am still- so grateful!

At 10:00am, I sat in my math class ("Problem Solving with Creative Math"), listening to the teacher explain the syllabus. That was class; we went through the syllabus. I'm not planning to have a career which relies on an extensive knowledge of math, so I'm taking an easy course. I couldn't help feel that I'd taken a step backwards compared the work I did my senior year of high school in pre-calculus. Notwithstanding, the class fulfills the requirement and thus serves a purpose. 

During my break between classes, I spent time in the library. Writing a few longer letter emails to friends was accomplished. Afterward, I ate lunch which cost me just over $4.00: salad with all sorts of veggies piled on top. 

The day progressed with two more classes: English 101 & Sociology 101. My English professor was lively and full of laughter, yet she was serious when need be. From how things look at the moment, I'm going to like her class.  Sociology I'm not as certain about. As a field, sociology is prevalent to the job I've got my sights on, though, and this class will be a good beginning. 

Other words to describe today: tiring, liberating, surprising. 

Tomorrow I'll be headed to "Media & Society," "Biblical & Historical Perspectives," and "Strategies for Academic Success."

College is an opportunity... My earnest hope is to make the best of it, one day at a time!

No comments: