Friday, March 16, 2007

Quit Tugging on Your Shirt. Buy a New One.

modesty
1531, "freedom from exaggeration, self-control," from M.Fr. modestie, from L. modestia "moderation," from modestus "moderate, keeping measure, sober," from modus "measure, manner" (see mode (1)). Meaning "having a moderate opinion of oneself" is from 1553. Modest (adj.) is first recorded 1565.

I'd like to say I didnt have to deal with modesty, that I've got it under control. I cant. I deal with it every time I walk into the store to buy jeans--how tight and where they hit my waist. I deal with it every time I try on a shirt. Whether it's too tight, too low, whether it's transparent. I have the priviledge and the responsibility to hold a higher standard, to be an image-bearer of God. That can be a struggle when every store seen as fashionable in the teen world of today presents short, thin, tight and provocative as what should be.

The issue of modesty covers not only what I chose to wear, but how I respond to what others are wearing or how I respond to the person wearing it even. It's about reaction as much as action. I cant control what others are wearing, but I do need to control my reaction to it. That is even more true for guys.

In shopping at thrift stores and less name brand places I've found my niche and have continued to settle more comfortably into it.

-----

So I officially wrecked the 'links' section. I was messing with code trying to find where to paste the html for an ad to this site. I clicked 'revert to classic template' and it changed the layout and link content to the way it was several months ago. The loss of creativity and time made me angry. Granted, I've lost much more important content in the past than the links section of my blog and I should be thankful in the situation. Anger can feel so futile. I satisfy myself by feeling it but ultimately know in the pit of my stomach that I need to let it go. That was earlier this week. Today however, I figured out how to return the template to the way I had it. Huzzah! Relief. & even more emphasis on the lesson of anger being futile.

EDIT: Thanks to the guidance of one Laedelas Greenleaf, the link/animation now has a lovely home in the sidebar!

2 comments:

Laedelas Greenleaf said...

"freedom from exaggeration..." Hm. "Exaggeration" seems to describe most aspects of teen culture. Iiiiinnnnteresting.

Your post inspired my own post :-P

Author at 661 said...

quite true.
drama, over-reaction, exaggeration.
Compare that with the understanding, humilty, and gentleness we should have as Christians...