Breakfast Extra Special
This story begins with a venture to the downstairs main family closet which contains toys, supplies for craftiness, sports gear, board games, a box of long florescent lights and a few bottles of really old wine. Outside the doorway sat two or three boxes of books that came from our living room. In need of reading material, I opened the box and rummaged. Devotional tapes, pamphlets, devotional books, encouragment books, a Jewish holiday handbook and Bible, homeschooling books. The Busy Mom's Life to Simple Living. I read it in two days and came to the conclusion that aside from one or two tidbits, I dont know why in the world we own it. There was this one tip- to take flour from its original bag and store it in a gallon milk jug. I tried it... very odd.
The book did however spur me to do something I've always planned to do: pre-make homemade pancake mix. That was Saturday. Today being Monday, there being only two eggs in the fridge and being steered away from foods I knew would trigger more migraines, I made pancakes. We had some Aunt Jemima, but after reading the ingredients list I decided to take another route.
I am plain not good at making pancakes.The first two I made stuck to the pan because I didnt have enough butter. They cooked well, but I had to do damage control by scraping and washing the pan before I could continue. The next bit of butter to go in the pan steamed and turned tan. No matter, in went the batter. I'm a poet and I know it... Anyway, when the two little rounds were bubbly I flipped them over in the pan and one ended up flopped half way over the edge of the pan, dripping uncooked batter onto the stovetop.
My mom walked into the kitchen, "oh... what are you doing?"
"I'm not very good at making pancakes."
"Everytime you make them you smoke us out!"
As a last word and recognition of the silver lining, I chimed as my mom exited the room, "They taste pretty good!"
The next two patches of batter went in and came out burnt. The next two I managed to not burn, but when I bit into the last bite of one later, it ended up containing an icky batter reservoir.
We had a man working the basement installing something or other.
He walked up the stairs, "Oh man, good thing I didnt install that smoke alarm yet."
I sat in the dining room eating my creations and chuckled at his comment. I had made pancakes from scratch. I could now proceed to scratch that act off of my life achievements list. I'm only half serious- I dont have a life achievements list that I can remember, but come to think of it... wouldnt be a bad thing to do.
In Your Eyes.








11 comments:
Think of yourself as a skilled Cajun cook. That's the term my dad uses when he burns something. While I'm here, I thought I'd post a little poem by John Ciardi called, "Mummy slept in and Daddy fixed Breakfast."
Daddy fixed breakfast.
He made us each a waffle.
It looked like gravel pudding
It tasted something awful.
"Ha,Ha," he said, "I'll try again.
This time I'll get it right."
But what I got was in between
Bituminous and Anthracite
"A little too well done? Oh well,
I'll have to start all over."
That time what landed on my plate
Looked like a manhole cover.
I tried to cut it with a fork;
The fork gave off a spark
I tried a knife and twisted it
Into a question mark.
I tried it with a hack-saw
I tried it with a torch.
It didn't even make a dent.
It didn't even scorch.
The next time Dad gets breakfast, when Mummy's sleeping late,
I think I'll skip the waffles.
I'd sooner eat the plate!
Consider yourself talented, lane
Yeah, I've had problems cooking pancakes as well. But hey, batter isn't that bad. I'd say get a bigger griddle- one that is about a foot and a half long and covers up two burners. Then, you have plenty of room for mix-ups.
Oh man! That happened to me all the time...it still happens to Mum almost every time she makes them! Here's a funny story.....you know most of our family can't eat wheat or gluten....well I decided one morning (playing home-maker while Mum was away) to make a gluten-free breakfast cake using a recipe that used wheat flour. I mixed a couple starches, gluten free flours into the measurement of regular flour the recipe called for. I mixed everything else together....I tasted it...not too bad but Dad hates the taste of Gluten Free stuff, so I added A BAG of chocolate chips. I poured it in the batter, poured the batter into an ungreased 9X13 pan, popped it into the oven after sprinkling half a bag of brown sugar and a stick of butter on top. :) Not very healthy, but tasty. Well, it needed baked longer than the recipe said, probably because the gluten free stuff, but when it was finally done, there was a dark brown, sticky substance on the bottom of the pan. I should've greased the pan and it had to soak for A DAY AND A HALF!!!! That was real fun to scrape clean.
Chocolate chip pancakes are a delicacy here. However, one time my sister got a little carried away. There was still about two cups of batter left, and she decided to empty a couple handfuls of Nestle goodness into the mix. The result? Well, what appeared on my plate appeared to be chocolate chips with pancake batter filling in the cracks.
My Dear Girl! I beg to differ with my daughters opinion of my pancakes...I hardly ever burn them now, unless one of my children distracts me! I would be happy to have you come over and make pancakes ( wouldn't that be fun?!), and I applaud your efforts to cook from scratch and read ingredients...you are on your way to a much healthier being! Also, 'The Busy Mom's Guide to Simple Living' is one of my favorites...mine is dog-earred and well loved! I love you, Miss Alaina! Love, Mrs. G
Well, I'm here to say that my mom never burns our pancakes. I'm just saying!
I'd say that maybe something is wrong with your batter recipe. You should try various ones and see what happens- by the way, what does give you a migraine?
A- you made me laugh. a skilled Cajun cook... thanks for the poem =)
iJosh- Ooh I like the griddle idea. We normally just use a pan.
Meg- wow. you turned a healthy cake into a *mini* sugar fest. haha. Whole Wheat flour is interesting. I made Irish Soda bread this week, and I subed graham flour for whole wheat flour... the crust was quite hard. edible, but distinctly hard.
I have a history of label reading. You could say it's a hobby... of sorts. ;-)
Migraines. Well, food sensitivities play a pretty large part I think. When I eat yeast, pickles, olives, cheese or sugar my body doesnt respond well. Sugar is the only thing I can recognizably track a migraine back to because it has an effect within a short time. Loud noise for an extended period of time sadly gets to me. I have reeally tight shoulder muscles and the chiropractor thinks that loosening up will decrease them.
Iboprofen does work; I take it sometimes before I know I am going to be in a situation likely to cause one. It's lousy to not be able to laugh because you head feels like it's in a vice...
Definitely something to pray for =)
1) Your closet fits all that into it? I'm impressed.
2) I've found that books on "simple living" defeat their purpose. Maybe my life is already simple? HA! Yeah right.
3) PANCAKES! I love them! And we need to plan a massive girly sleep-over, or some such thing, that would give us an excuse to make pancakes together 'cos I've got this amazing (and really healthy) recipe that we could make. I love making pancakes. (Secret ingredient: vanilla. I put it in anything that goes in the oven.)
4) I totally agree with iJosh. Griddles=better pancakes.
5) You get migraines? :-(
crqunf
Crazy Relatives Query Unsuspecting Nieces Frequently
What is the big deal with pancakes? I've made them several times without error. I didn't know they were such a hard thing to cook. Maybe it's that fact that I've never used homemade batter.
Yay for label reading! I do it quite a bit. Did you every watch "Hey! Arnold!"? There was one episode with a character who read label obsessively. "What did you do on the plane ride?" "I read the label on the bag of peanuts."
Ouch at migraines... Have you just started getting them recently? Or has this been an ongoing thing? I'll be praying.
ljqiw
Little Jimmy Quit Instead of Winning.
Hey guys, this blog is becoming a second flickr, a place for Providence people to talk during the weak. Heh heh
Yeah, seriously. I think Lane hit on the jackpot...if you want blog comments, write about food :-P
Food is a large part of Providence's culture.
qdvissph
Quacking Ducks Vroom Into Sundry Sunny Plains Haughtily
Post a Comment